'I Swear By The Music' by David Hart

The practice of medicine is difficult, sometimes overwhelmingly so. 

When medical students or young doctors came to the end of their time with me I would give them a photocopy of this poem to remind them that they will never be left alone in their labours, confusion and  feelings of helplessness. There are always allies, often in the shadows, but powerful and benevolent. 

All they demand is to be recognised and invited in.



I swear by the music

I swear by the music of the expanding universe
and by the eloquence of the good in all of us
that I will excite the sick and the well
by the severity of my kindness
to a wholeness of purpose. I shall apply my knowledge,
curiosity, ignorance and ability to listen.

I shall co-operate with wondering practitioners
in the arts and sciences,
with all those who care for people's bodies and souls,
so that the whole person in relationship
shall be kept in view, their aspirations and their unease.

The secrets of the universal mind
I shall try to unravel to yield beauty and truth.
The fearful and sublime secrets told to me in confidence
I shall keep safe in my own heart.

I will not knowingly do harm to my patients,
I will smile at them
and encourage them to attend to their dreams
and so hear the voices of their inner strangers.

If I keep to this oath, I shall hope for the
respect of my teachers,
and of my patients and of the community
and to be healed even as I am able to heal.


David Hart

Published in the 'Observer' of 6th July 1997 in a reading ( ' a new Hippocratic Oath') at the Ledbury Festival of Poetry.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Truisms' by Louis MacNiece

'After Visiting Hours' by UA Fanthorpe

'She Pops Home' by Cal Clothier