'Broken Neck' by Robert Graves

I keep his 'Collected Poems' on my Kindle of course but yesterday I took the Penguin edition that Eleanor gave me a long time ago and it fell open at this poem. Inevitably it is a love poem, since no one else has ever written as well and as comprehensively about that particular matter.

Do challenge ( with examples please!) that assertion.



BROKEN NECK

'Some forty years or maybe more'
Pronounced the radiologist,'you broke
Your neck: that is to say, contrived to fracture
Your sixth cervical vertebra - see here,
The picture's clear - and between sixth and seventh
Flattened this cartilage to uselessness:
Hence rheumatism. Surely you recall
Some incident? We all do foolish things
While young, and obstinately laugh them off -
Till they catch up with us in God's own time.
Let me prescribe you a Swiss analgesic
Which should at least.....'
                          Love, I still laugh it off
And all such Swiss mercenary alleviations,
For though I broke my neck in God's good time,
It is in yours alone I choose to live.



From 'Man Does, Woman is'






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Truisms' by Louis MacNiece

'After Visiting Hours' by UA Fanthorpe

'She Pops Home' by Cal Clothier