Armada by Brian Patten

Thank you Allan for being very quick off the mark with this superb Brian Patten poem. The first of many of your selections I hope....

ARMADA
Long long ago 
when everything I was told was believable 
and the little I knew was less limited than now, 
I stretched belly down on the grass beside a pond
and to the far bank launched a child’s armada.
A broken fortress of twigs, 
The paper-tissue sails of galleons, 
the water-logged branches of submarines – 
all came to ruin and were on flame
in that dusk-red pond. 
And you, mother, stood behind me, 
impatient to be going, 
old at twenty-three, alone,
thin overcoat flapping.
How closely the past shadows us. 
In a hospital a mile or so from that pond 
I kneel beside your bed and, closing my eyes, 
reach out across forty years to touch once more 
that pond’s cool surface, 
and it is your cool skin I’m touching; 
for as on a pond a child’s paper boat 
was blown out of reach 
by the smallest gust of wind, 
so too have you been blown out of reach 
by the smallest whisper of death, 
and a childhood memory is sharpened, 
and the heart burns as that armada burnt, 
long, long ago.

Brian Patten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Truisms' by Louis MacNiece

'After Visiting Hours' by UA Fanthorpe

'She Pops Home' by Cal Clothier