'Roman Wall Blues' by WH Auden

I've started to wear some posh Italian sandals recently. Very comfortable and they have helped to sort out my Athlete's Foot a treat. Athlete's Foot as well as advanced cancer - well you can't say that God doesn't have a sense of humour?

Actually another reason was a trip to Hadrian's Wall with Sam and Elias at Easter. In the Roman Army Museum there were some lovely well preserved sandals including the most delightful and delicate pair that would fit a two year old. The ones for adults made me realize that this perhaps above any other technology of the day allowed the Roman Army extend their empire from Rome to Asia Minor and to Carlisle via North Africa.

I imagine the soldier in this poem contemplating the vagaries of fortune: his pleasure in new durable and fashionable footwear while at the same time reading his posting order: 'Oh fucking hell...... Wallsend on Tyne, for fuck's sake...  Again...'

I've told Teresa I will be wearing sandals all the time now, for all occasions and for all seasons: smart by the barbecue, on the bandstand - and in the bedroom!

She thinks it's brilliant: 'That's brilliant, Des...... I think I will have a bit of a lie down....'



ROMAN WALL BLUES

Over the heather the wet wind blows,
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

The rain comes pattering out of the sky,
I'm a Wall soldier, I don't know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone,
My girl's in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
I don't like his manners, I don't like his face.

Piso's a Christian, he worships a fish;
There'd be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I'm a veteran with only one eye
I shall do nothing but look at the sky. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'The Truisms' by Louis MacNiece

'After Visiting Hours' by UA Fanthorpe

'She Pops Home' by Cal Clothier