'Acting Simply' by Lao Tzu - translated by Ursula Le Guin

These lines are Ms Le Guin's version of those I posted here not long ago. It is from her translation of the Tao Te Ching: I downloaded the Kindle edition the other day.

If you compare the two, I have to confess that I prefer the original if only for its idea of 'things that happen naturally' than the simple 'we did it? 

What do you think?

Eleanor introduced me to Le Guin's marvellous 'Earthsea Quartet' - a sort of 'Lord of the Rings' you imagine at the start, that ends up being a compelling, dark, morally complex contemplation of universal challenges and rites of passage - and I have been a fan of hers ever since.

I was almost put off because Ms Le Guin is described as a 'science fiction writer', the section in a bookshop I usually walk straight past, but make no mistake she is simply just a great writer full stop.
Try a collection of her short stories to kick off with.

I am also reading a collection of her essays, talks, reviews on the process of writing at the moment: 'Words are My Matter' which are fascinating but I wouldn't put it anterior to reading some of her own work.

I am behind the times - I find that there are six 'Earthsea' volumes so I need to catch up.



Acting Simply

True leaders
are hardly known to their followers.
Next after them are the leaders
the people know and admire;
after them those they fear;
after them those they despise.

To give no trust 
is to get no trust.

When the work's done right,
with no fuss or boasting,
ordinary people say,
Oh, we did it.













Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'The Truisms' by Louis MacNiece

'After Visiting Hours' by UA Fanthorpe

'She Pops Home' by Cal Clothier